As you may or may not know, we raise rabbits for meat. Our family loves rabbit as it has proven to not only be a sustainable food source for us but also very tasty and nutritious. We raise a cross of New Zealand and Californian rabbits as they seem to consistently produce big litters that grow very fast.
Rabbits are ready to butcher in just 10 weeks and just 1 doe can produce nearly 300 lbs of meat per year.
We raise our breeding rabbits in cages off the ground and the babies in moveable tractors once they are weaned. This allows us to move them daily to fresh grass.
Here are some interesting facts you may not have known about rabbit meat.
1) In the US, rabbits are rarely ever fed anything medicated, and are not treated with hormonal growth stimulants.
2) One rabbit can produce nearly 300 pounds of meat in a year!
3) Rabbit meat is higher in protein than any other commercial meat in the USA. (U S D A circular # 549)
4) Rabbit has only 795 calories per pound. As compared to Chicken 810, Veal 840, Turkey 1190, Lamb 1420, Beef 1440, and Pork 2050. ( U S D A circular # 549 )
5) Rabbit meat is much lower in cholesterol than chicken, turkey, beef, or pork. (Alabama A & M University 1989)
6) Rabbit meat is great during the hot summer months, as it is a cool protein unlike most other meats.
7) Rabbit is very easy to digest, meaning less is needed per meal when compared to other meats.
8) Rabbit meat can be used to replace chicken in most recipes.
9) Adding rabbit meat to your meal plan gives you a big boost in vitamin B-12 -- each 3-oz. serving provides 117.6 percent of the recommended daily intake. Vitamin B-12 plays a critical role in the function of your central nervous system and metabolism, as well as the formation of red blood cells. Your body has the ability to store a few years' worth of vitamin B-12, so eating rabbit supplies you with not just your daily requirements, but a little extra as well.
10) The U S Department of Agriculture Office of Home Economics has performed extensive tests and has concluded that domestic rabbit meat is the most nutritious meat known to man.